Based in Covington, Louisiana, the Maritime Pilots Institute (MPI) is a non-profit training service organization that was created for pilots, by pilots. MPI’s mission is to provide world-class education, training, support, and services to Louisiana’s professional maritime pilotage community.
Through its innovative professional training systems and partnerships, MPI provides services and programs that enhance the ability of Louisiana pilots to foster safe navigation, protect the environment, and protect the life and property of the State.
MPI is owned by the New Orleans-Baton Rouge Steamship Pilots, as well as the Associated Branch Pilots for the Port of New Orleans. Valued State pilot customers include the following:
- Tampa, Florida
- Lake Charles (LCP)
- The Florida State Pilot Association
- Mobile, Alabama
- Southeast Alaska Pilots
- Galveston, Texas
- Houston, Texas
- Columbia River Pilots
- Sandy Hook – New Jersey
- Northeast Maritime Pilots
Commercial clients include Hornbeck, Inc., Teekay Shipping, Tsakos Shipping, American Eagle Tankers, Vroon Shipping, and VSHIPS.
The Maritime Pilot’s Institute is located in Covington, Louisiana, and is open daily from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
Maritime Pilot’s Institute
401 N. New Hampshire Street
Covington, LA 70433
The Maritime Pilot’s Institute offers the following courses:
- 1-Day Pilot Electronics
- 1-Day Incident Management for Pilots
- 1-Day Radar Use for Pilots
- 2-Day Emergency Shiphandling for Pilots
- 2-Day Use of Tractor Tugs for Pilots
- 3-Day Advanced Shiphandling for Pilots Using Manned Models
- 3-Day Pilot Use of Tractor Tugs Using Manned Models
- 4-Day Basic Shiphandling
- 4-Hour Legal Aspects of Pilotage
- 5-Day Advanced Shiphandling for Pilots Using Manned Models
- 5-Day Train the Trainer for Pilots
For more details on any of these courses, please see the Course Directory on MPI’s website.
Do you want to know more about the Marine Award Program? Visit our home page for a detailed overview or call us directly at 855-783-2385. For eligibility requirements, click here.